Discussion of Search Engine Processes and Search Engine Bias & Optimization
1. Weeks 4 & 5 covered the inner workings of search engines (e.g., crawling, indexing, ranking, querying/retrieval, etc.). In your viewpoint, which of the main processes/components of Web search engines are most important for users to understand when conducting searches? And why?
2. Based on the readings and videos in Week 5, what are TWO key ideas you have learned about search engine bias and optimization that you didn’t know before? Explain and mention specific readings and/or videos to support your response.
3. Based on the readings and/or videos in Week 5, what are TWO recommended “white hat” practices that a webmaster or SEO professional might use to improve the ranking of a company’s website (or a start-up site) in search engine listings? Explain and mention a specific video or reading to support your response.
4. Based on the readings in Week 5, what is ONE “black hat” optimization technique used to improve the ranking of a company’s website and who uses it? What are the problems/ramifications of using “black hat” techniques? Explain and mention a specific reading to support your response.
5. Based on your own opinions, as well as the readings, will AI be a disruptive force in Search Engine Optimization? Why or why not? Do you feel this will be a positive or negative impact?